To celebrate the creativity in our local community and provide us with a positive project to come out of challenging times which are otherwise filled with anxiety, uncertainty, and for some people, a time of recovery. We will produce a printed collection (non-profit; discussions of sales, donations etc. to start soon.) If you have any questions:
Inspired by life in isolation. Open to all genres, so do treat the theme as a starting point rather than a restricting topic. Readers should think “oh, I see why this is included”. There should be something “local” about your contribution, but be creative. You might refer to a location, the history (e.g. rope making), or something else. Please read full notes below on this.
Be creative... and don't feel that your writing needs to be literally about being Isloated. Take us back in time, expose a conspiracy, make us laugh, discover that unknown trap-door...let our minds take a journey with you.
I want to leave the genre and style of submission open, but please do not submit any content which would be inappropriate for younger readers. Let's all aim for this collection to be something that can be enjoyed by anyone. If with think in terms of "film classification" - try to aim for a 12A.
All submissions are taken on a “for consideration” basis. Please read full T&C for notes on copyright and other issues regarding publication. Entries should be in the format of:
· SHORT STORY: Maximum of 1,000 words; or
· FLASH FICTION: Maximum 2 to 4 stories, totaling 1,000 words (inc. titles); or
· POETRY: Maximum 100 lines from between 1 and 4 Poems (inc. spaces); or
· COMBINATION: Maximum 1x 500 words prose, + 1x 40 lines poem.
ONE submission per person. If you plan to submit Flash, Poetry or Combinations, please wait to submit all of your pieces in ONE email so that I can keep track of them.
Please send your submissions by email to:
· Submissions can be made by anyone living in or around Bridport and the local area*.
· You can be an experienced, published writer, or a complete novice.
· Open to all ages, but submissions from anyone under 18 years must be sent via a parent, carer, guardian or adult representative (e.g. a teacher or tutor.) Please see the Terms & Conditions below.
(Only email submissions will be accepted. Files MS Word .docx file are preferred, but, PDF, .txt, or including the text in the email is fine. Hand-written entries can be photographed. Please include your full name as you would wish for it to be spelt in a book.)
I'll be adding to these as questions are asked. Please pop back and check.
The purpose of this project is to provide an opportunity for us to share our wildest ideas inspired by our current situation. However, it would be too easy to simply write “about” the situation. Why not try to explore wider, go crazy, dig deeper? Here are a range of ideas for short story ideas just to demonstrate how loose the theme really is: